From the University of Auckland
· Total value in excess of $50,000
· Return flights from New Zealand to London
· Accommodation and hospitality for four weeks in the UK
· Cash award of $1000 each
· Concerts in London ROSL, St Martin-in-the-Fields, St. James’s Piccadilly, and Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
· Consultation lessons with prominent UK based teachers and visits to major UK conservatoires
· Participation in International Summer schools and masterclasses.
· Tickets for cultural events including BBC Proms, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden & Edinburgh Festival
The Trinity Trio was selected from 10 different ensembles nominated by the Universities of Auckland; Otago, Dunedin; Victoria, Wellington; and Waikato, Hamilton at auditions held 22 -24 November at the Academy of Performing Arts at the University of Waikato, Hamilton.
Three ensembles were selected for the Final Concert in the Dr John Gallagher Concert Chamber, Academy of Performing Arts Centre on Sunday 24 November 2012: Trinity Trio Stella Kim violin, Sally Kim cello, Tina Kim piano (University of Auckland); GARDA DUO Julian Baker violin, Heather Lewis cello (Te Kōkī New Zealand School of Music) and AKATO TRIO Shauno Isomura violin, Jesbery Hartono cello, Kent Isomura piano (University of Auckland/University of Waikato, Hamilton). The Final concert was recorded and will be broadcast on Radio New Zealand Concert.
The adjudicating panel was the CAVALERI QUARTET BMartyn Jackson, Ciaran McCabe violins, Ann Beilby viola and Rowena Calvert cello, Roderick Lakin MBE, Director of Arts, Royal Over-Seas League, Euan Murdoch CEO, Chamber Music New Zealand, and Edward Allen former principal horn NZSO.
The panel was impressed by the quality of music making which all three groups achieved in the final concert. Any one of the groups would have made a worthy winner. The winners performed with great vitality, musicality and commitment. Individually and collectively they are at an ideal point in their professional development to take full advantage of the intensive performance and coaching opportunities which the scholarship offers.